I now have a new appreciation for Moms everywhere, especially Moms of one-year olds. For some reason I always viewed the newborn stage as the most difficult prior to having a child. Wow, that seems like a breeze now. Abby is walking now and exploring everything. She can open drawers, cabinets, purses, boxes, just about anything. Thankfully she can't reach doorknobs yet. I feel like I spend all day saying "no" to her and trying to divert her attention off of something she is not supposed to have. She never stops moving except the brief moments she takes naps, which only last an hour and a half tops. She also gets easily bored so I spend most of my time trying to keep her entertained. I had no idea about this stage of parenting. How did I miss that? She is at that difficult stage of being big enough to move around and get into things but still too young to explore safely on her own. The second you take your eyes off of her, and I mean second, she has gotten a hold of something she is not supposed to have. I'm learning to be super-vigilant. I now know what they mean when Moms say they don't even have time to take a shower. Whew! If Abby's awake, then I'm probably not getting anything productive done around the house (note the "taking your eyes off of her" comment above). I try my best and somehow still get things done around here. If I do want to take a shower I have 3 options:1. get up super early before Abby. (this is probably what I should do but this almost never happens unless we have to be somewhere in the morning)
She has also started throwing fits. This just started about a week ago. They are very dramatic and quite a little show. She'll throw herself down on the floor and kick and scream all while keeping at least one eye on you to make sure you're still watching. We are working on a solution to this behavior- I'll keep you posted. We are introducing Abby to a new phase of discipline and hopefully she'll be receptive. She is strong-willed, to say the least, and I'm learning that even if I have to say "no" 500 times regarding the same issue, I can't give up because that's exactly what she wants. It's tiring and sometimes seems fruitless but I have faith that it will reap good behavior and an obedient child one day. If any of you Moms reading this have any discipline tips for me please let me know. Thankfully my dear friend Stacy is an amazing mom of 2 toddlers and a baby on the way and she has set the bar for biblical and successful mothering. I know I can always call on her for questions and she always gives me a great answer. She is full of wisdom that has come from a heart totally devoted to the Lord, her husband, and her children. I have learned so much from her and I'm so grateful the Lord has brought her into my life. He definitely knew I would need that. Of course I always have my mother and sisters that I can always depend on for advice and encouragement.
All this to say that I have a new compassion for mothers everywhere, especially mothers of mobile children. :)
6 comments:
Wow, it will be interesting when the little man gets to this fun stage :) I agree though, what would we do without Stacy!?! I'm so thankful that you, Stacy, Stephanie, and Sarah have gone before me to give me all the good tips and suggestions - love you!
Amen to the cartoon! So true. Love the shower story. Kate has seen me naked more than Brent! Be encouraged. You are doing a good job. We have entered a whole new phase of parenting and it is MUCH harder than babies. Babies are EASY! I've read some good books lately that I can share with you. I have seen good fruit with Kate, BUT everyday requires more from me, and that is hard.
One tip to leave you with is to make sure to get some "you" time. Even if it's a drive around the block by yourself. I'm always a better mom once I recharge.
P.S. Have you tried putting Abby in her play pen while you shower?
Oh what the future holds!! :) I was just thinking today how easy little babies are, they sleep all day! It's fantastic! And you are right, everyone says how much work babies are, but I think they really mean toddlers. Figure it all out for me and then advise ok?
Precious mama! He always has the next great idea and the next best move waiting to drop it in our ear, if we will listen:) Stop, breath, breath some more if you need to, speak a blessing over that little sweet one (even if they don't appear so sweet at the time, it helps your view point) then ask for divine patience...He's always ready to give it...trust me:):):) You're doing a great job and YES, you ARE a natural:)
Oh the joys of a toddler....so precious and so busy! It's been a while, but I will be reminded very soon again! Consistency is the best gift you can give precious Abby in her new stage of discipline. She will get it and you WILL see fruit! Stick with it...you can do it. What a great mommy you are! Abby is very blessed. When you need a little encouragement after a long day of many "teaching opportunities" here are a few great reminders that is is all worth it: "The rod of correction imparts wisdom" Proverbs 29:15 & "But he who loves his son disciplines him diligently" Proverbs 13:24. Be encouraged! :-)
Post a Comment