Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Katy Get Your Gun

Yesterday I tried something new and it was so much fun. Let me preface it by telling you a little about myself. For those of you that don't know I am quite the tomboy. When I was a little girl I wanted to do everything my older brother did and I loved spending time with my Daddy. My Dad was in the oil business when I was little and we used to have a ranch out by Possum Kingdom Lake with oil wells. Some of my fondest memories are of going to the ranch with my Daddy and riding around in his big pick-up truck checking on the pump-jacks and oil wells. He would show me everything about the pump jacks and it was so neat to me. We would also fish and hunt rattle snakes. I've always loved fishing and the outdoors. Now that I'm older I don't get to do those things very much anymore. A few years ago Chris and I had dirt-bikes and I loved riding them and once again enjoying the outdoors. Unfortunately Chris had an accident on his bike and shattered the bones in his foot and after that we sold our bikes. Now that I'm a Mom I really don't have time to do stuff like that plus since Chris works outdoors for a living he prefers to stay indoors on his time off.

So yesterday I went dove hunting with my Dad and brother Brian. I have never been hunting before and I have never even fired a gun. My mother-in-law so sweetly watched Abby for the afternoon/evening so I could bond with my Dad and brother. We went to a lease out by Denton. It wasn't very far away and the weather was incredible. I learned so much about guns, hunting, and dove. Thanks to my informative brother and Dad who kindly put up with my thousands of questions about everything.

At first I was so concerned with getting shot. I DID NOT want to get shot and couldn't stress that point enough. However, after they gave me a crash course in gun safety I felt a lot more at ease. The shotgun I was using my Dad got when he was 10 years old for Christmas. They let me fire a shot off to get comfortable with it and WOW that thing is loud! Unfortunately there weren't many doves out yesterday. A few came by here and there and we took shots at them but nobody got anything. My Dad and brother's guns hold 3 rounds each so when they fired it was ridiculously loud. My head was hurting after awhile. I did some target practice with an empty beer bottle and after several attempts I finally showed that bottle who was boss!

I had such a good time and it was nice going back to my roots. It was so quiet and relaxing out there and it was just a treat to take off my "Mommy Hat" for awhile. Thanks so much Dad and Brian for the memories! Here are some pics:

This is my Pre-hunting Face (Watch out you crazy doves)





The Hunters:


1 comment:

The Durham's said...

Ok, you are officially so much tougher than I will ever be! I mean, seriously, if I were a bird, I would have been scared! I am so glad you got to have some bonding time with your fam:) You were definitely missed at lifegroup though:)